Happy Memorial Day! As you enjoy the day off, I take a look at what concerts are worth seeing this week in Philly. It’s a very, very busy first weekend of “summer” concerts as Okkervil River, Sun Airway and Sondre Lerche compete with shows on Friday night. Saturday features a sold out show at The Troc with Death Cab for Cutie (who come back for a bigger show at The Mann in August), while Paul Simon performs night one of two at the Merriam Theater. The 4th Annual Roots Picnic will also be this Saturday. Sunday isn’t slouching this weekend either, with the Drexel Music Industry Program showcase at the TLA (with Kuf Knotz, Swift Technique, Hezekiah Jones and plenty more), the second night of Paul Simon, a benefit for Rock to the Future at World Cafe Live featuring Grandchildren, Creeping Weeds and The Grand Nationals, and the last Philadelphia show EVER by The Radiators at The Trocadero.
Also this week will be tomorrow night’s SOLD OUT Matt and Kim show at The Trocadero, and Bell X1 will play Thursday night at the First Unitarian Church.
- Tue – Matt and Kim with Reptar and The Hood Internet @ The Trocadero – SOLD OUT
- Thu – Bell X1 with Jarrod Gorbel @ First Unitarian Church – $18
- Fri – Okkervil River with Titus Andronicus and Future Islands @ The Trocadero – $17.50
- Fri – Sondre Lerche with Nightlands and Kishi Bashi @ World Cafe Live – $20-$30
- Fri – Sun Airway with Dustin Wong @ First Unitarian Church Sanctuary – $12
- Sat – Death Cab for Cutie with The Lonely Forest @ The Trocadero – SOLD OUT
- Sat and Sun – Paul Simon @ Merriam Theater – $58-$128
- Sat – The Roots Picnic @ Festival Pier – $65
- Sun – Drexel Music Industry Showcase @ TLA – $5
- Sun – Rock to the Future Showcase featuring Grandchildren, Creeping Weeds, and The Grand Nationals @ World Cafe Live – $13
- Sun – The Radiators @ The Trocadero – $24